.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Christian Art

This morning I read an article on The Ooze about Christian Art. Specifically art at the White Stone Gallery.

Those “inspirations” found her scrambling to find Christian artists who not only demonstrated a contemporary mastery of their mediums but a passion to express their Christian faith through their works of art.

“I thought Christian art was all angels holding puppies,” she admits. “I didn’t want that, and I didn’t want the stern, severe iconic art. So I started looking around for something that fell into contemporary Christian fine art. It was a hard look, and it slowed us down.”




So after reading the article I checked out the galleries website and there is some good stuff there. For art, it seems fairly conservative but the artists are all talented and very good at presenting their message. I have enjoyed looking at Cornelis Monsma's work, I have posted a sample image of his painting called "Holiness." Beside each painting is an explanation of the inspiration (usually a Bible Text.) The text for this work was 1 Peter 1:15-16.

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”