.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Friday, August 05, 2005

How do we know God exists?

This is a fundamental question that each one of us most answer in our own way. The problem is there is no "proof" of God's existence. Logical proofs all have their weaknesses and assumptions. If you don't share the assumption of the proof, then the argument quickly falls apart. Examples include arguments from design and arguments from first cause.

Some say that we know God exists, because the Bible said so. But this is also no proof, because the authority of the Bible to speak on such matters would have to be established.

So how do I know God exists? I know God exists because events in my own life and events in the lives of others, show me that God does indeed exist. That is all the evidence that I have, and it is all that I need. Now somebody could counter that I am deluding myself. Or that I have attached meaning to events, that are purely random. However, there are always objections for God's existence, for those who seek them.