.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Book Review: Postmodern Christianity

I just finished reading "Postmodern Christianity" by John W. Riggs. It was a very concise overview of postmodernism and how Christianity relates to it. He argues that Christianity has always used concepts borrowed from the philosophical discussions of the time. So for example most of the traditional views of God are based on Greek philosophies. Postmodernist philosophy teaches that ultimate claims about reality do not make sense. Dr. Riggs points out that if this is the case then theology and ethics no longer make sense. He then uses the work of Hartshorne and Ogden to base his view on how Christianity should respond to postmodernism and then uses these concepts to illustrate how we should respond to several issues like gender relations and abortion.

I found the book to be a fairly easy read. Chapter four is the highlight of the book with the previous chapters leading up to it. One thing I did not realize is that the views of the religious conservatives that "Life begins at conception" is very recent. For most of Christianity's existence the church has been against abortion, but not because abortion was homicide. In thier view abortion was a form of birth control and sex without the purpose of procreation was bad.

Overall the book was good, but I am sure there are better works that talk about Christianity in a postmodern world.