.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bicycling

Just after I started my new job, I purchased a bicycle with the intention of using it to commute to work. My main goal was to get excercise in a convenient manner. Of course, I haven't had to purchase as much gas, so there are other benefits to this as well.

It is interesting what I have learned while riding my bicycle. I knew that people are willing to take risks when in a hurry, cutting people off, speeding, and swerving in and out of lanes. The dynamics are different when you are on a bicycle. I no longer have a ton of metal and glass between me and that speeding swerving car. People are taking risks with my life so that they can get to work 1 minute faster. In truth there is only one part of my route that is a problem and I don't think that there is an alternate that is better. Fortunately it only lasts for about a block.

But here is a friendly reminder from a bicycle commuter. If you are passing somebody on a bicycle, be considerate and give them lots of room. If you don't have room to pass them, wait until you do. And for those of you interested in bicycle commuting it is an easy thing to start and they are plenty of good resources about it on the internet.