.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

3ABN and train wrecks

I'm not sure what attracts humanity to scandal. A coworker had a train wreck analogy which he applied to Paris Hilton. You know what is going to happen, nothing can be done to avoid it, and there will be a big crunch at the end. I'm sure there is a similar dynamic going on in our Adventist sub-culture when it comes to some of the recent events of 3ABN. Adventist Today pointed out that they receive a lot of traffic because people are looking for information about the divorce and re-marriage of Danny Shelton. They have published a series of letters, which confirmed some of the rumors I have heard from both points of view. (Confirmed meaning that the rumor is based on the actual point of view of the affected parties.)

Now I don't have the time or interest to figure out what really happened, but I thought the letters provided a good example of some of the pitfalls that a ministry can face if it is too tightly controlled by a dominant personanility. In the event of mistakes there is usually not a good procedure to address and resolve it. According to the Doctor's letter the investigation into the matter was more white-wash than substance. Part of the allegations touch on the tight control Danny Shelton has on his ministry. This issue was touched on by Ron Corson on his blog, who found Danny's response less than satisfactory.