.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Atoday on the IJ

As many of you know, Atoday is doing a special commentary on this quarter's sabbath school lesson. The series is well done with several different viewpoints represented. However one of the comments to the editor really irked me.
So, if those who don't believe that 1844 is even supported in Scripture, they need to be honest and get out of Adventism. There is NO middle ground on this.

I've heard this from many different people on several different issues. Cliff Goldstein made a similar comment concerning Creationism/Evolution. It's reproduced here, but I believe the original article was in the Adventist Review.

Unfortunately it is not that simple. If I could only join a church if I agreed with all of its doctrines, the only church availiable to me would be the First Church of PerpetualStudent, which is definitely not the best option from the spiritual growth and nuturing perspective. There needs to exist room in any healthy church for discussion and possible change and there definitely needs to be room for a healthy disagreement.