.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Global Warming

The topic of global warming has been going around the Adventist blogosphere (see Spectrum Magazine and Ryan Bell's site.) I am sitting here watching a Discovery special on the subject, hosted by Tom Brokaw. Although I was already convinced, I had no idea just how overwhelming all the evidence is. Glaciers are melting, sea level is rising (estimated at 4 to 10 inches in the last 100 years), and carbon dioxide levels are at the highest they have ever been in thousands of years. Also carbon dioxide is highly correlated with global temperature. The implications are quite frightening. However I think Americans are starting to wake up to the danger and that gives me hope. Documentaries such as this one and Al Gore's movie are contributing to this as well as over-the-top movies like The Day After Tomorrow. Hopefully this will lead to more action.