.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Wish I could have been there

As an alumnus of Walla Walla College, I like to check in to see what is going on. Well, I found an article about a discussion forum that took place over there. They were discussing relevance of the church and I wish I could have been there.

Bauer started out by mentioning two things she appreciates about Adventism. First, "someone will know someone you know" anywhere in the world. Even in her time in New Zealand, she met people who knew Karl Haffner. Second, the Adventist community is an intellectual one. As an intellectual person, Bauer appreciates questioners and explorers. But, she says, "One area I wish Adventism would become more relevant is in the area of spirituality." When Dybdahl guest-lectured in one of her classes, he mentioned that Adventists discuss doctrine, but teaching people to be spiritual is "a very different arena." Bauer wonders if Adventists really know how to fast, pray, or find a "rapturous relationship with God."


That sums up my thoughts on the church. Some of the other portions of the article talked about inter-generational interaction. I agree it is important to have, but I know from my Collegiate Sabbath School, that is important to have programs for just a certain age group.