.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Witnessing

I hate witnessing and evangelism. Of course, I may have misunderstood what witnessing was all about. justpastors has a good post that helps bring witnessing into proper focus.

Committed Christians usually get the knowledge part fine. We know our Bibles and are avid readers. Many of us have non-Christian friends with whom we interact mostly in a casual way. Now, when it comes to “do evangelism,” we suddenly become hunters in search of targets. Like Alex, the lion of Madagascar, those who are our friends or neighbors, become meet, living targets. We get into the winning souls mode.


Witnessing has always seemed so fake to me. It seemed like I was being told that I needed to become "a slick used car salesperson for Jesus". On the other hand, "just being friends" always seemed like a copout.

As Tim Sanders says (and btw, he’s a Christian), share your knowledge with your network out of compassion, out of love for them. Don’t look at them as a target, a goal, a baptism. Get to know them. Love them and they will love you back. It is in that stage when talking about Jesus becomes natural for both parties.


To me it says don't sweat it. Witnessing is something that comes naturally when we are truely in love with Christ and truely love our friends.