.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Friday, July 01, 2005

The problem with Christian literature for young adults

I have been looking for more material to use in my Sabbath School class. Last Friday, I went to a Christian book store and once more I noticed that while there is plenty of material for younger kids and plenty for adults, there is a black hole when it comes to those between the ages of 18 and 25 years old. So it isn't just an Adventist problem.

There were a few books, but almost all of them suffered from the same problem and it wasn't until yesterday that I realized what exactly bugged me about these books. These books spent pages and pages talking about the evils of homosexuality, humanistic professors, and science in particular. However, they did not discuss how to make your relationship with God stronger in a new environment, away from home. The problem with my class is that I want everybody (myself included) to have a closer relationship with God and that is what I am looking for. I don't want a book on Doctrine. I don't want an anti-homesexual screed. I want practical religion.

The one exception was a book by Dallas Willard, which looked interesting but I didn't think it transferred well to a Sabbath School setting. I am thinking about looking at some other books by him. It doesn't hurt that he is a professor at USC.