.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Bible and Circular Thinking

I just read an interesting article in the Adventist Review online about the experiences of Mr. Davis, an individual who answers questions on Bible Info. I thought his answers to the first two points were fairly good. He discussed the limits of logic when discussing God and talked about how God has to break through in our lives to remove the circular thinking. All logical attempts to describe God fall short. Most of my attempts ended up with a deist view of God. I think this is why the Incarnation is so important. God came to live on earth so we would know what God was like.

But how do I know the Bible is true? I know it is true because it fits what I know from my experiences of God the best. When I am talking about the Bible being true, I am not talking about if all events in the Bible literally happened. For example Jonah could never have existed and it still doesn't take away from the truth in the book of Jonah about God's forgiveness.