Finding God in Los Angeles
- When was the last time you experienced God's presence?
- Do you want have these experiences again?
Why do we have trouble experiencing God?
- Focusing on the Created and not the Creator
- Hard heart
- Ephesians 4:17-19 (Unable to understand)
- Mark 3:1-5 (Lack of Compassion)
- John 12:40 (blindness)
- Pharaoh in Egypt
- God sometimes breaks through
- Certain religious practices
- Sacred story (Bible)
- Sacred rituals (Communion)
- Sacred time (Sabbath)
- Sacred music
- Sacred speech (speaking in tongues)
- Sacred silence
- Sacred space
- Sacred journey
- Sacred laws
- Which of these, do we practice in our church? Give examples
- Verbal prayer
- Non-verbal prayer
- Deeds of compassion
- Individual Bible study
How would you incorporate these practices in your daily life?
We have talked about several ideas to help you experience God in your life. Not all of these ideas will work with every person. It is important that we try these ideas to find which work for us.
Marcus Borg. “Opening to God: The Heart of Spirituality” in The God We Never Knew, Harper San Francisco, 1997.