.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Monday, May 23, 2005

CrossWords Recap

Overall I think the weekend went well, however the program fell a little short. However we did get a mention in the local paper. I don't know how long this link will be active so I will quote some of the main points.


They call themselves Christians, but they don't want to go to church.

"It's a problem in a lot of Christian churches," said John Jenson, 48, pastor of the South Bay Seventh-day Adventist Church in Torrance, referring to a trend among people ages 18 to 35.

"That's why the CrossWords convention is so important, it gives them the freedom to create and participate in their own worship experience."



It was pitched as a program led by young people for young people. The leadership was a little elderly in make up, although young adults did participate in the committees. I think there was also a fear that our service may offend the older generation. I am blessed to be in a church that isn't afraid to try out new worship styles, however this weekend felt like a regular church service to me.

To address the problem, Kiemeney brought together 30 pastors from Seventh-Day Adventist churches in the Los Angeles region to discuss a plan to reconnect with the younger generation. The concept of a two-day conference, created by and targeted to young adults, was launched in fall 2004.

Two pastors, recognized for their work with young people, were named as ideal candidates to make the idea a reality. One is Elizabeth Talbot, associate pastor at the Vallejo Drive Seventh-day Adventist Church in Glendale. The other, Cary Fisher, is associate pastor at the Norwalk Seventh-day Adventist Church.



As the speakers for the program, Pastors Talbot and Fisher did an excellent job. I think most of the deficiencies are a result of lack of communication between the local churches.

Over all, I say it was a good effort that fell short but I think we will do better next time. Future events will be published on the CrossWords website.