.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Just finished reading another Marcus Borg book

I just finished reading "The God We Never Knew" by Marcus Borg. I have found his books to be quite illuminating, because he approaches Christianity from a different perspective. I am finding much that was causing me trouble in my own faith was due to a misunderstanding of what Christianity is about.

There are many common misconceptions about the nature of God. For example, many think of God as a seperate being outside of our physical reality. This is known as Transcendance. We know that the universe is incrediblly large, which means that God must be very distant and remote to be outside of our physical world. I found this God to be ineffective, which has resulted in a crisis of faith. However there is another conception of God taught by the Church which is known as his Immanence or closeness to us. Although it is paradoxical, the truth is that both of these concepts about God are true and we need both to be in balance for a healthy view of God.