Mother's Day Sabbath School Class
God as mother
Introduction. Since I was a child, I was taught that the trinity includes God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. While the Bible predominantly uses the male gender when referring to God, other texts speak of God as female. The lesson today will look closer at these texts.
- When you pray, do ever call God “mother?”
- Do you find it weird when others pray like that?
- Isaiah 49:14-15
- Isaiah 66:12-14
- Isaiah 46:3-4
- Luke 15:8-10
- Matthew 23:36
- Hosea 13:8
- 1 John 5:4
- How is God like a mother in each of these texts?
- Is God male or female?
- Why do we usual refer to God in the male gender?
- How did the culture of Israel effect the portrayal of God in the Bible?
- If the Bible were written in a matriarchal society, would God be our mother?
- Why would it be helpful for some people to pray to God the Mother?
- Dr. Margo Houts. “Feminine Images for God: What does the Bible say?” http://www-stu.calvin.edu/chimes/970418/o1041897.htm
- Marcus Borg. Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. ch. “Jesus the Wisdom of God”. In it he describes how Wisdom, a feminine word, takes on attributes of God in Proverbs and Wisdom of Solomon.