.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sabbath School for a New Generation

Among Seventh Day Adventists, Sabbath School is a time for discussion and learning. It is the belief of this site that Sabbath School should be an exciting venue for the discussion of new ideas, instead of rehashing old arguments. So welcome to a virtual Sabbath School, a Sabbath School for a new generation.

My Photo
Name:

I am an Electrical Engineer, working at Intel in the Portland area. I received my undergraduate degree from Walla Walla College and graduate degrees from the University of Southern California. The views expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect the viewpoints of anybody else. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in time.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

So would you let an atheist join your church?

And I am not talking about attending your church. Would you let him become a full voting member? I found an interesting article about an atheist who became a member of a Presbyterian church. Although this article was written on April Fool's day, it is not a joke. I found a link to it on StreetProphets.

While I believe in the importance of dialog (which involves listening and learning on our part), I would have difficulty giving full membership to an atheist. However at the same time I find it disturbing how often Christians demonize the atheist. Frequently atheism is a reaction to an abhorrent or inadequate God. Sometimes that reaction comes about because they were taught about a hateful God, who will strike people dead if they look cross-eyed. Sometimes its because the God they read about in the Bible is evil, condoning slavery, ordering genocide, and slaughtering millions of people. The truth is atheists are not bad or evil people. They are just trying to make sense of their world just like us.